|Carroll Creek and Cycling Photo Credit: Visit Frederick|
The BIO International Convention is the largest biotechnology trade show in the world and was recently held in San Francisco. Each year, the City and County economic development offices jointly exhibit within the Maryland Pavilion and prospect for new businesses and educate attendees on why biosciences thrive in Frederick. Following the show, we compiled a list of the five most frequently asked questions by attendees at BIO.
1. Which Bioscience Companies are located in the Frederick, Maryland area?
Frederick is home to Fort Detrick, the National Interagency Biodefense Campus and the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research as well as private industry such as AstraZeneca, Lonza, and Thermo Fisher Scientific. Frederick is the second largest bioscience hub in Maryland and the Northern anchor of the 270 Technology Corridor. Download a list of all 80bioscience companies that are in the Frederick area.
2. What can you offer start-up bioscience companies?Start-up companies benefit from Frederick's incubator, the Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc. (FITCI), a facility serving up to 40 clients with 25 offices and 10 wetlabs. In addition to the incubator, our community offers networking opportunities and access to business support through the Frederick Economic Development offices and the Maryland Department of Commerce's biohealth and life science specialists. Our teams are ready to help connect you with state and local resources to help your company grow.
3. Why should we locate our business in the Frederick area?
Proximity to Washington, D.C. Access to federal regulatory agencies. Business-friendly environment. Great schools. Educated workforce. Nationally acclaimed, award-winning communities. These are just a few of the reasons the biosciences thrive in Frederick County. Learn more about why 80 bioscience companies call Frederick home.
4. How can I connect with bioscience companies in your area?
Businesses looking to connect with our bioscience community can attend or sponsor one of the many networking events hosted throughout the year. Popular ways to connect include:
- The Fort Detrick Alliance hosts networking events, including the well-attended Tech Showcase in Frederick
- The FredCoBio Chapter of BioBeers offers Meetups to cultivate business relationships and foster collaboration
- Frederick's incubator, FITCI, hosts seasonal "Summer Networking on the Patio" events monthly.