On January 30th, The City of Frederick's Department of Economic Development hosted "Frederick Day in Annapolis" - an annual event that allows local community representatives an opportunity to say thank you for past state investments, as well as provide critical information on upcoming projects.
The day also presented an opportunity to begin a State-level dialogue surrounding proposed, future City initiatives, including:
The implementation of a Circulator system would improve access and assist in balancing parking capacity across the Downtown area. The system is envisioned to be operated by TransIT—the local transit agency, with agreement by the City & County for operational and maintenance costs. Transit grants from the state and federal government would help cover the initial capital expenses.
City Police Headquarters
The City of Frederick intends to construct new police headquarters to alleviate overcrowding at the current location. The existing facility, at 25,784 sq. ft falls short of calculated baseline needs to safely and efficiently serve the community. With an estimated construction cost of $16.6 million dollars, the new headquarters will require an 3– 10 acre location accessible to the public and the downtown Courts.
Route 15 & 270 Improvements
This road improvement project seeks to relieve congestion, improve access, and reduce noise in the surrounding area. An initial study for the project, conducted by the Maryland Department of Transportation, is currently underway. The proposed improvements will include an interior widening of the corridor to three lanes in both directions from I-70 to MD26. Cost estimates and timing of the project are dependent upon the results of the current analysis.
Finally, thanks was given for the State's consistent support and for the millions of dollars of funding already contributed towards the healthy growth of the City of Frederick -- most recently including:
Monocacy Boulevard and US 15 Interchange
· $60 million project currently under construction
· Over 90% is funded by the State and Federal Government
· Provides a full-diamond interchange and other safety improvements
· Eliminates unsafe at-grade intersections on US 15
· Adds trails, sidewalks, bike lanes, lighting, and landscaping
· Complements the $31 million (City/County funded) adjacent loop-road project which will improve circulation and alleviate congestion on the US Highway and Interstate system
· Community revitalization grants from the State’s DHCD encourage private investment and improve neighborhoods throughout the City
· In the past 2 years, the Community Legacy Fund has awarded over a quarter million dollars to the City for façade and interior improvements of buildings within the Golden Mile area, Downtown, and East Frederick
· In recent years, through the Strategic Demolition Fund, a total $750,000 was awarded towards the revitalization of a long-time vacant, prominent Downtown site and for the acquisition of land for the Downtown Hotel and Conference Center & Public Parking facility
Frederick Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrades
· Enhanced Nutrient Removal (ENR) upgrades in progress
· 39% of this $45.8 million project was funded by state grants, and the
remainder was supported by a State Revolving Fund (SRF) loan
· Upgrades will bring the plant into compliance with increased EPA
mandates for ENR
· Improves water quality by reducing nitrogen and phosphorus discharges
to the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries
· Construction started in September 2015, with completion expected by mid-2018
A special thanks also to our generous Frederick Day in Annapolis Sponsors:
Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., Tourism Council of Frederick County, Frederick County Chamber of Commerce, Frederick County Office of Economic Development, Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc., Fort Detrick Alliance, East Frederick Rising, Downtown Frederick Partnership, Golden Mile Alliance, Perfect Truffle, McCutcheon's Apple Products, and Uncle Ralph's Cookies.
And, of course, to The Savory Spoon Catering Co. for providing a delicious taste of Frederick!